Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using tablet PC for novel writing

Default Using tablet PC for novel writing

Hi. Total newbie here. Can anyone comment on using a tablet PC for writing book-length manuscripts? I enjoy creating first drafts in longhand, using pen and legal pads. I don't enjoy having to type the hundreds of pages I produce. And then once those pages are typed, I print them and once again pick up a pen to edit in longhand - which means more voluminous typing from extremely messy copy. Typing/creating directly on my laptop just isn't as comfortable as curling up in a chair with a pad and pen. But is my dream of curling up in a chair with a tablet PC unrealistic? Can I scribble endlessly, then push a button to convert it to TEXT? Then can I scribble/edit/delete/add handwritten notes to that converted TEXT?

I am going to order a general-purpose book from Amazon about Tablet PCs, but the books they list are several years old, and technology changes so blinking fast that I wasn't certain if my questions would be covered properly. Thanks in advance for help.

Kathy H.

I've used my Fujitsu Stylistic to write a number of articles and have been working on a book manuscript -- I use RitePen for HWR and rarely have a keyboard attached.

William

I don't have a TabPc yet, but in all my recent research for doing TabPcArt, I have stumbled into forums and sites that have addressed your topic. Unfortunately as wonderful as the TabPc is, it don't get no (much) respect ... so these forums and member post are the BEST resource.

you may want to search the web for info on One Note ( i think that is the name of it) from microsoft, a program for handwritting notes letters, etc .. on a TabPc

Also, if you look long enough you may actually see a video of a TabPc in action converting hand writting to text .. especially check out the 'ink show' at www.gottabemobile.com , they have done some very nice 20+ reviews of different TabPcs. Even if the topic of the video isn't about handwritting to text, during the video review sometimes they will show it in action. Also, another great site iswww.tabletpcreview.com/. GOOD LUCK and don't give up ... the TabPc is the way to go.

If anyone out there has a link to a previous thread on this topic, or a link to a video demonstration ,please post it here for KathyH

Also, any experienced TabPc writers, please jump in too ...
    TedRx
    GoDawgs!

www.AdventuresOnTheHighFrontier.com
    (coming 2009)

Kathy,

I am an extensive user of OneNote on Vista using handwriting. I write journals, not novels, but I have no doubt that you could do exactly what you want to do on a tablet pc. You would probably want to convert to text daily, or weekly, or at the end of each chapter, rather than waiting to do the whole novel at once. But the handwriting recognition in Vista is excellent. You can train it to recognize your handwriting. Works great. Maybe you should contact Allegiance Technologies. They do 48 hour trials, so you could experiment with it and see what works for you.

http://www.alltp.com/

FYI -

This weekend on HSN (home shopping network) they were selling the Gateway Tablet (for $150 MORe than website) and in the demo they specifically showed the translastion from handwritten words to text ... it was during one of their electronics shows, so you may want to tune in or look on their website for future 'shows' .... it was the FIRST time I saw the handwriting to typed text and I thought it was amazing!

Just what you are looking for ...
    Good luck
    TedRx
    GoDawgs!

(coming 2009)

Well I just got my TabPc (M1400 used on Ebay for $422 plus shipping) and while I was messing around with it, i rembered your post and thought I'd report back ....

Your dream of curling up with a TabPc and doing handwritten manscripts and *easily* converting to text, then editing on the same TabletPc is only as far away as you writing a check to cash in on it ... REALLY!

The WinXpTabPcOs's TIPS interface will make ANY tablet (convertible or slate) a great tool for you! ...it even helps with spelling

Whether you use JOURNAL or TIPS within a Word processing program, you just can't go wrong ... to be able to do long hand and EASILY convert to text will save you bunches of time ...

Go to my thread link http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...TOPIC_ID=36341
    and get to page 4 or 5 where I go into more detail about TIPS ... it is *spooky* good ... I actually took a picture of how well it reads my really bad handwritting and can email it to you if you are interested ...

My advice after just using the TIPS for a day or two is that
    The TabPc will save you SOOOOO MUCH TIME ... get one ASPAP

Good luck and let us know how it goes ...
    TedRx
    GoDawgs!

(coming 2009)

Even my 2003 Motion M1300 slate runs Vista beautifully. They can be grabbed on eBay around $300. I just bought in the classifieds here a HP TC1100 for $350. Complete outfits with docking station (author's desktop dream) are on eBay for $500-800. The TC1100 STILL is ranked one of 10 best tablets ever. I've never even seen one, mine arrives in two days. I doubt it won't impress me also as much as my Motion, the first slate I ever even saw in person. These 1Gz 1st generation Centrino tablets that commanded $2,500 3-4 years ago are THE sleeper deals now. My Motion is by far the finest laptop I have used. It's looks and size still are stunning in 2007. 90% assume it is that Apple tablet speculated about since 2003. 99.9% never heard of Motion brand. Dual core fever now has created huge used surplus. There's endless stream of TC1100 and M1300-1400 slates on eBay and prices are falling.

The handwriting recognition and tablet features in general are significantly improved with Vista. As good as XP TIP works, Vista's is AMAZING! Handwriting recognition learns over time, is trainable and one's personal database can be saved and even ported over to new tablet. With Vista and OneNote 2007 truly an author's dream setup. The fact that 1Gz tablets CAN run Vista is hidden except for few who really know. This is one of the handful websites on entire web.
    100% Old School tablet setup:

Sahara i440D - 4GB/500GB/7200 - Vista screams!
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - portrait - primary computer.
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - primary work computer.
    HP TC1100 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - XP - laptop - partner's primary computer.
    Acer 303xmi 1.6 - 2GB/100GB/7200 - Vista - laptop - work computer.
    Motion M1300 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - Vista - semi-retired (needs repair).
    Motion M1300 - for parts.
    Motion M1400VA - awaiting resurrection.

Well if Tips runs a lot Better on Vista, then it must just take your thoughts right out of your head and port it directly onto the screen.... "cause TIPS on my XP is blowing my mind every time I use it!
    TedRx
    GoDawgs!

(coming 2009)

I spent about 6 hours "training" Vista's handwriting recognition engine with 500 sentences interaction over several sessions, taking the out-of-box results to another level. I wrote an article about using Easy Transfer to backup training and was curious how deep one could get. Actually, an hour doing the 1st 50 sentence session is all needed for dramatic results.

I can essentially scrawl anything anyway and get results from that extra customization. The really tricky recognition isn't long words, those are literally 100%, it's short letter words, numbers, and context that training focuses on. It's simply remarkable excellence of design that got buried under the Aero hype at launch. Myriad of tiny or subtle refinements in user functions Vista also feature receive little notice a year later. For me, Vista makes XP feel antiquated whenever I boot back into it. It's useless still having XP, there is absolutely nothing missed.

For tablets, Vista Home Premium offers best value. The OEM version (no support, locked to single device) is $105 shipped at Newegg. Getting Vista running well on 1Gz hardware (minimum to even install) IS possible, despite typical advice otherwise. It takes care and effort and willingness to dismiss the negativity surrounding Vista.

One of the very best resources on Vista in these legacy tablets:

http://mobilepcwiki.org/mpc/index.ph...a_Installation

100% hysteria free and wonderfully authored by one of our members.

So, for around $500-600 one can own a legendary slate tablet running Vista with world-class guidance getting all set up. Your friends will be impressed. Actually, expect frequent interest by everyone. Four year old laptops should not and don't. Strangers started conversations seeing an iPhone for the first week. Slates are another level of cool and still will.

TedRX,

You deserve appreciation for your enthusiastic forum participation and applause single-handedly rekindling discussion for older tablets besides complaints and problems. I'm pretty sure this site remains the last resource where focus toward latest hardware didn't discourage used tablet buyers having a voice. It's odd talking hardware among $3,000 subjects. I've been around here too long to keep old discussion alive. I guess there's even fewer old tablet fans and willingness to invest the effort like you've shown here much too rare. I know all too well how long it actually takes crafting multiple paragraph posts. I usually write the really big ones in Notepad and paste in the text having lost hours in a web burp.
    100% Old School tablet setup:

Sahara i440D - 4GB/500GB/7200 - Vista screams!
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - portrait - primary computer.
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - primary work computer.
    HP TC1100 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - XP - laptop - partner's primary computer.
    Acer 303xmi 1.6 - 2GB/100GB/7200 - Vista - laptop - work computer.
    Motion M1300 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - Vista - semi-retired (needs repair).
    Motion M1300 - for parts.
    Motion M1400VA - awaiting resurrection.

Thanks Bhome1 !

Older used tablets to me are like Mustang cars ... sure I'd LOVE to drive a Corvette (equal to state-of-the-art TabPc) but the Mustangs will get done more than most (conventional Desktops and Laptops) every could ...and for the price it is the best bang for the buck.

And just as most car drivers would rarely use the full capabilities of a Corvette, most computer users would rarely need the state-of-the-art perfomance model TabPc capabilities... and would actually enjoy on a daily basis the advantages of the Mustang of computers , the used Tablet Pc.

In my humble opinion, ANY 512mb, 1 GHz WinXpTabPc 10" Tablet (convertible or slate) will totally change how *most* people think of and use thier computers ... there will always be those who need the top model, but they are few as most users don't have the software uses to fully take advantage of the top model's of the day

ps. By the way congrats Dawgs! (and sorry Hawaii, you did have a great year regardless of what happened at the Sugar bowl ... so be proud too!)
    TedRx
    GoDawgs!

(coming 2009)