Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE1700 Hitachi Hard Drive Cable...

Default LE1700 Hitachi Hard Drive Cable...

Questions for anybody out their reading this: I have a LE1700 that I am rebuilding. I bought a HDD ribbon/cable and it is manufactured by Hitachi. This means I can only add a Hitachi hard drive...right? When buying the hard drive I would be looking for a ipod/zif type, is this correct? Also how big can I go with this certain brand of cable? I have read that I am limited in GB's, is this true? Plus does anybody know where I can a hold of the original restore discs for this tablet? Thanks for your help.

The Hitachi cable will only work with a Hitachi ZIF drive. It is thicker than the Toshiba ZIF drive socket. And yes, you are looking for a 1.8 inch ZIF hard drive. You will either get a 32 or 64GB drive. I don't know if Hitachi makes anything larger than 64 GB. They might have an 80 GB drive. Getting anything bigger, while technically should work, several people trying to go bigger have shared their woes on this forum. You can read their stories and decide if you want to try. Finally, the restore disks can sometimes be found on ebay. However, I have only found the LE version of the OS restore disk offering Windows XP. Motion went away from offering restore disks and had a factory image on the hard drive using Acronis True Image. So you should be able to find an XP disk but not an LE 1700 OS disk for Vista or Windows 7. Also, the drivers are all on the Motion website. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Current: TX2525nr, iPad (yes, even the iPad).
    Former: Motion Computing LE1700, 1400 and 1300, TC1100, P1510

Default Thanks!

Thank you for your information. By the way I just wanted to let people know that the HHD ribbon was bought on ebay and was from Hong Kong. The ribbon pictured shows a Toshiba but they sent a Hitachi. It is misleading but it will work out. Something is better than nothing. Again thanks for the valuable information.

Blog Entries

Today, I ordered Toshiba hard drive connectors from Motion. I'm not sure how long it will take to get them. If you want one, please let me know. I will probably sell them for $30.
    John Hill
    TabletPCBuzz, Owner/Editor

Allegiance Tablet PC Experts, CEO
    ALLTP Website
    ALLTP Tablet PC Store

6. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
    Today, I ordered Toshiba hard drive connectors from Motion. I'm not sure how long it will take to get them. If you want one, please let me know. I will probably sell them for $30.
    Hello John,

I have a question for ya... I have a Motion LE1700 with a 40gb Toshiba hd in it and I'm wanting to bump it up to an 80gb... I've found a couple of them on ebay but they are Hitachi drives that I'm looking at... My question is if I buy one of these Hitachi drives will I also need a Hitachi cable to connect or can I just use the one that's already in it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

you need the Hitachi cable
    John Hill
    TabletPCBuzz, Owner/Editor

Allegiance Tablet PC Experts, CEO
    ALLTP Website
    ALLTP Tablet PC Store

8. Default

you need the Hitachi cable
    Thank you so much! Are you going to be selling that one as well... Or if not could you recommend a good place to get one?

The Toshiba ZIF connector you already have would be the best choice, in my view. There are plenty of Toshiba & Samsung HDD (commonly available up to 120GB) that use the Toshiba interface and present and forthcoming SSD drives use the Toshiba cable as well.
    Code:
    Toshiba:

model         size    connect   height   cache   rpm

MK1214GAH      120    ZIF 40     8mm 
    MK1011GAH      100    ZIF 40     8mm
    MK8009GAH       80    ZIF 40     8mm
    MK6008GAH       60    ZIF 40     8mm
    MK4008GAH       40    ZIF 40     8mm

Samsung:

HS160JB        160    ZIF 40     8mm     2MB    3600
    HS120JB        120    ZIF 40     8mm     2MB    4200
    HS122JC        120    ZIF 40     8mm     8MB    5400
    HS10TJB        100    ZIF 40     8mm     8MB    4200
    HS10XJC/M      100    ZIF 40     8mm     8MB    5400
    HS08#JC         80    ZIF 40     8mm     8MB    5400

The HS160JB is rare, usually expensive and out of production.

In your searching, you may run across the Toshiba MK2431GAH 240GB do not buy it for a computer -- it will *not* work (iPods only) ATA incompatibility.

I have used the Toshiba MK1214GAH, MK8009GAH, MK4008GAH and the Samsung HS160JB successfully.
    Last edited by PaulB; 04-29-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Drive updates
    Motion Computing LE1700 XGA VA, Samsung HS160JB 160GB HDD, 4GB Crucial RAM, Gigabyte GN-WS30N-RH 802.11n WiFi.

Motion Computing LS800 VA (undergoing updating and upgrading)

Thanks. I will purchase one from you! Thanks! I hope that shipping to Europe & paypal is OK for you.

I finally got my SSD today and I found there is no way to use it with the zif ribbon cable of Hitachi type in my LE1700.